Thursday, December 2, 2010

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson



Melinda tries hard to put her past in the past. She wants to forget all the events that occurred the night of the party, and everything that follows it. It'd be so easy, too, if everything didn't remind her of it. Since the incident, Melinda's life has spun out of control, from school to home. Her grades have only gone downhill and nobody cares enough to listen to what she has to say.

She chooses not to speak, but as it becomes harder for her to erase her memories, Melinda finds that she has no choice but to voice the truth.

***

I think the message of this book is very powerful and meaningful. The growth of Melinda is clear as she begins to open up a bit more to the people around her. The storyline is inspirational and it's not too haste, time-wise. I thought it was also interesting how the writer used a variety of sentences with different lengths to either quicken or slow down the pace of the book.

However, I found the book extremely boring at times. I found it quite hard to get into the book because Melinda, the character, is annoying. She's pessimistic and just strange and would often do the most random things at times. As the reader, I found Melinda confusing with her abrupt inner thoughts and outright stupidity. Her lack of hope and constant moaning is depressing. :( The storyline could have been more original, in my opinion, and possibly less predictable. Although I think the book conveys a meaningful message, I wouldn't want to read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment