Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Avenue

It all started with a bottle of sake. Everything changed.
---
As I walked down the avenue, I could feel with every part of my body the warm breeze of spring. I could feel the floral scent gently stroking me with a tingling feeling that I have never felt before. The scent entered my bones so softly, so gently, as if it was hardly there. I was mesmerized by the leaves glowing in the sunshine. It was truly beautiful. The sun was just about to set. Step by step, I was experiencing early spring.

Until I spotted my ex-husband. 5m away.

My brain froze for 3 seconds. And it was back.

I quickly fished through my handbag and hurriedly wore my sunglasses. I kept my head as low as possible. I was sure it was him.

As usual, he had his ‘trusty’ guards by his sides, like a tyrannical master to his obsequious minions. As usual, he was wearing a black suit with a white shirt 3 buttons undone, along with a white handkerchief hanging loose on his suit pocket. As usual, he disgraced me. Ugh, the way he dressed always suffocated me. It’s killing me now. Thank God he didn’t see me yet. Why was he walking along this avenue anyways? The fact that we were standing on the same avenue disgusts me. Although I kept my head low, I could tell by the scent of his cologne, by the voice of his guards and by the sound of his shoes. It was him. The clinking sound they always made as their shoes made contact with the pavement. All of his shoes were specially designed for him. They were also specially designed by my uncle. His footsteps were getting closer every second. My heart started to beat faster. Then I realized. Why was I avoiding him? Did I do something wrong? Although his face made me nauseate, although I would rather kill myself than see his face, I decided to encounter it. I knew he was coming this way. He was extremely close. And he recognized me.

‘Oh HEY, it’s Amy! How’s it going?’

Ahh, did he have to stop and talk to me? His guards gave me a weird look. Hmm, so he fired the old ones.

‘Oh...uh. H-hey, Daniel! Long time no see... It’s really nice to see you!..’

Ha! Its SOOO nice to see you Daniel!..... URGGH. Please don’t speak anymore. Was he that cool to start a casual chat?

He was not even 30cm away from me. It was more like 1mm.

‘Let’s go grab a cup of coffee. I’ve got some extra time.’

Oh No.

‘I’m So Sorry Daniel… I’ve got a meeting I have to attend. It was a nice bumping in to you today!’

Ha. Sure. I waved at Daniel with the most angelic smile. My face was twitching in pain. I ran to the bus stop with my stilettos. Pain rose up to my head. At that point, one of Daniel’s guards came running towards me. He handed me a box. It had Daniel’s initials carved on to it. I was very tempted to throw the box in the bin. I took a deep breath and showed my gratitude. Without giving the guard a chance to reply, I ran to the taxi station and dived on to the seats. It was finally over. The gray leaden sky personified my emotion.

I opened the box as soon as I got home. It was a bottle of sake. His affection towards sake was equal to my disgust towards sushi. Unlike other days, my body urged me to have some. Since I had such a down day, I did not refuse. I opened the bottle. The scent of the liquor escaped. I tipped some down my throat. Time passed by. I slipped into oblivion.
---
On the other side of the city, Daniel simultaneously opened a different sake bottle. He did not understand why Amy had to avoid him. Why couldn’t they stay as close friends? Was that impossible? Who cared if they had divorced? He poured his sake down his throat. The burning sensation speeded up the beating of his heart. The more he poured, the pleasure doubled. Adrenaline was released. He felt his consciousness ebbing away. All his thoughts ended.
---
Something wasn’t right. My hair felt weird. It was unusually short and silky.

Arghh, the sun hurt my eyes. As I was getting ready to wash my face, I looked in to the mirror. Then I realized what was wrong. I stood in disbelief. I rubbed my eyes. I was scared to death. I gripped my face with fright. I touched my chest. Nothing was there. I continued to grasp my body. I looked at the mirror. I folded my arms across my chest and shrieked.

I was Daniel.



*this is my short story. i personally think its bad. i edited it 6 times because it was too long. please be nice. it might be very strange and complex :S

13 comments:

  1. I think your story's very unique, but I don't quite get the ending. What IS the Sake then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a japanese alcohol.

    i dont think it makes sense either. ...

    everyone else is writing about mystery though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get the ending. SO what is Daniel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. its complicating. i was trying to write about a divorced couple-amy and daniel. and due to some kind of magic, their bodies change. after i wrote the whole thing it was like 1400 words long so i cut loads of paragraphs... i dont think it makes sense anymore.... ):

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's kind of complicated, especially the ending.
    I like your descriptions though, and I like the sake part, I think it fits into the story well

    ReplyDelete
  6. since noone understands my ending and the whole story, i. have decided to change the ending and some bits...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a very nice story. However, it's a bit confusing because I thought firstly you were being Amy right? Then at the end it says: "I was Daniel." I don't really get that part though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. their bodies change. due to some kind of magic in the alcohol.

    my story is not very good.. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first, I didn't expect there's a twist in your story. What's in the sake that make Amy turn to Daniel? It's complicated ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your description is amazing! Nice sentence structures and stuff.
    But I agree with the others on this one, the ending was a bit confusing. So... Amy turned into a man? o_o It's an interesting concept but it was so surprising. One minute she was a woman and then BAM, she's a dude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. -.- thanks emma. jks. (:

    yes amy turned in to a man. i cut the paragraph about the magic in the sake.

    im changing it now people.

    thanks emma once againn (: BAM :D i like your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha i thought the relationship between Amy and Daniel were great. It created a sense of awkwardness btween the two. It was VERY enitertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i dont get it. my story was long too but i cut out all the description parts :(:(

    ReplyDelete