Monday, February 7, 2011

First draft of my short story

The piano

A shocking news totally got me up, as I was having breakfast sleepily: “We’re moving”, said my dad, then he told us where our new house was. What a surprise!

“My piano will be delivered to the new house, won’t it?”

“Erm … yes … yes of course”

I looked at my piano, a small, black upright piano at the right corner of the living room. I had it when I was six and since that day, I played piano almost everyday. To me, it was more than just a piano, it’s a close friend of mine.

It was a busy day and I went to bed quite late. When I was about to sleep, one of the neighbours played a piano CD. That piece was so nice and relaxing that it quickly got me to sleep. Thanks to it, I had a really good sleep, and I wished that neighbour would keep playing that CD every night. And my wish came true. The next night, while I was sleeping, I heard it and still heard that same song, at the same time on the following night. Listening to it gave me the feeling of sadness and sorrow, the kind of emotion when we say farewell or goodbye. But it didn't sound like piano playing from a CD, it sounded very real, as someone was playing it and I guess it was quite close to my house. In the morning, I asked everyone in the house whether they heard that song or not. To my surprise, no one heard it but me and it seemed like a mystery.

As days went by, that piano song became regular and it was so relaxing, it turned out to be a little nice secret, during my sleep rather than a mystery. But the music is louder, more sorrowful and sounds really near to me than ever on that last night before we moved. It felt like something got me out of bed and went to the stairs. Standing on the stairs, I could hear that song so clear and real that made me think that it was definitely not from a CD anymore. As I got down few more steps, the music became louder and louder, and from my right. My piano! That’s why I could hear the music so close to me. I tried to stare at my piano in the darkness, but the black of it made it even harder for me to see anything. There’s no way my piano played by it self, unless … someone was playing it! I pulled myself together after being stunned in a minute. I felt scared, but curiosity got over me. So instead of running straight back to my room, I tiptoed down to the living room. The music sounded so near to me. I went straight to the switch and turned on with my shaking fingers. My heart nearly popped out when the light came up. The music stopped. Silence covered the room. Only I was standing there. Nothing’s special. I looked around and came to the piano. Everything was just the same as the last time I practiced. This couldn’t be weirder, I definitely heard that song coming from my piano. Couldn’t find any clues, I came back to my room with full of doubts and anxiousness.

In the next morning, the lorries arrived early. One of them carried my piano. Our new house is much bigger than the old one. However, that’s not what I was impressed at. At the centre of the living room located a black, brand new grand piano. I was so surprised and happy, I have always wanted to play such a big piano like in concerts. But then … where’s my old piano? I couldn’t see the lorry carried it outside the house.

“Where’s my little piano?”

“Oh… Haven’t I told you? Have been told that we’re moving, a friend of mine asked me about your piano, and at that time I already bought you this new one, so it’s been sold. I wanted to make a surprise to you. Isn’t this your dream, having a grand piano?” My father replied.

I just nodded. He told me to have a look at my room then left with my mother and sister to see the rest of the house. Standing alone in the room, looking at the new piano, the tune of sad song that I heard every night echoed in my mind …

5 comments:

  1. An interesting story. There were moments of foreshadowing that left me wondering what's going to happen next. However, I've got two words to say: Déjà vu! It was a bit similar to "The Kimono" that we've read. Perhaps, change the plot a bit? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't base on "The KImono" to write my short story. But I have to admit that my story has the same kind of mystery in "The Kimono" though. I don't want to make the piano seem creepy like the kimono. And what do you mean by changing the plot a bit? Thanks for commenting anyway (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi quynh (: i really enjoyed reading this. although its similar from the kimino, i still like it. but i think your ending could be a bit more effective...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will try to change a bit. I have never thought my story is similar to The Kimono until I saw your comments. And I have to admit it's is. But I'll change the plot anyway.

    ReplyDelete